Science Fair Project

My science fair project was "What does sugary drinks do to your teeth". I was able to use eggs to test this experiment because just like our teeth, egg shells contain calcium and protects the inside of the egg just like the enamel protects our teeth. For my experiment I place an egg in a cup of soda, orange juice, gatorade, and water for 24 hours to see how the sugary drinks affect our teeth. My hypothesis was "If I drink soda which contains sugar in it, then this will affect the enamel on my teeth because the sugar in the drink causes tooth decay". The results were interesting, of course the egg that soaked in soda was the most stained. I think this experiment is interesting and important to know because many children and grown ups drink sugary drinks on a daily and don't realize the damage they are causing to the enamel of their teeth. I had fun doing this science fair project, I checked the eggs after they soaked for about 12 hours and they were already stained. I wish I would of took the experiment a step further and used toothpaste to brush the eggs to see if they get cleaned, but instead I suggest for future directions to add that step to the project. Here is a picture of the project that we had to post on voicethread.



Comments

  1. This was a great science fair project! I enjoyed watching your Voicethread on it, and I like how you suggest to take it a step further. I would definitely like to see what toothpastes would work best to clean your teeth after drinking those sugary drinks. It is so important to realize what drinks like these do to your teeth. These are all popular drinks that I think a majority of people gravitate to. Maybe if people can see what these drinks do, they would drink water which is healthier all around!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment